Vegan Green Bean Casserole
Author: Ashley Hurst, R.D.
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 pound green beans (rinsed, trimmed and cut in half)
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste(I like Wild Foods Pink Salt*)
- 1 shallot (minced), you can substitute onion here
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp almond or gluten free flour
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond or soy milk
- ½ cup crispy onion topping (optional, I like the sprouts brand)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add some salt and green beans. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Drain the water and place the green beans in an ice water bath.
- For Sauce: In a large skillet over low to medium heat, add olive oil and shallots and garlic. Saute and season with salt and pepper for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes more or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle in flour of choice and coat evenly over the mixture.
- After 2 minutes, add in the vegetable broth.
- Add almond or soy milk next.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer then reduce heat to low and let it thicken for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and add part of the crispy onion topping for mixing in.
- Place in a pan for baking and top with remaining crispy onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes