Recipe facts: Dairy free, Vegan, Gluten Free
These are my all-time favorite muffins. They are rich, filling, and not too sweet. It’s just the right balance! Enjoy!
This recipe uses something called “aquafaba” which is essentially just the liquid from canned garbanzo beans. It can be used as an egg replacement. For the chickpeas in the can you’ll open to get the aquafaba- I recommend tossing them with some olive oil, dill, lemon and sea salt for a nice crunchy chickpea snack while you wait on the muffins. I prefer mine crunchy- so I bake them at 350 F with the seasonings until crunchy!
Also, you might have noticed that I recommended “raw cacao” also. If you don’t have this- regular cocoa will do. However, if you are able to purchase raw cacao you’ll get more minerals and antioxidants out of this dish! Raw cacao is a great source of minerals like magnesium which is important for muscle relaxation, melatonin production and even helping support proper bowel movements. Raw cacao even has a little protein in it if you can believe it. The main difference between the processing of cocoa vs. raw cacao is that cocoa is heat treated and in the process it looses a lot of the antioxidants and minerals. It costs a little more than regular cocoa but it could help bump up your antioxidant game!
Chocolate Anytime Tahini Muffins
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- ½ cup bob's red mill 1:1 gluten free flour
- ½ cup raw cacao
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon aquafaba (liquid from canned chickpeas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Tahini Frosting:
- ½ cup raw tahini spread
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 C). Line 12 cup muffin tin.
- Whisk together dry ingredients for muffins.
- Whisk together wet ingredients for muffins.
- Combine liquid and dry ingredients.
- Fill muffin tins with ¼ cup of batter in each tin.
- Bake muffins at 350 F (180 C) for 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk together ingredients for frosting. When muffins are cooled, add to the top. Enjoy